8.09.2012

The Agony of Defeat

With the Olympics ongoing we've been subjected to many of the happiest moments in the lives of athletes the world over. We've also seen the harsh reality of competing in such high-level sports, the pain of those who came so close but didn't achieve their goals.



That's, obviously, Jerry Seinfeld talking about the silver medal at the Olympics. I think it's safe to say that growing up in America, most of us reading this blog would go along with his idea and the idea put forth by the most famous of NASCAR drivers, Ricky Bobby: If you're not first, you're last.

I know I grew up in a competitive family and can definitely relate to that sentiment. I believe my brother said it best when he said that he doesn't get that excited about winning a game because he expects it, but there is no worse feeling than losing.

Think of how many medals have been dished out in the Olympics thus far. By my count (which you'll have to give me a decent +/- on this, I am a journalist after all) it's 840, which amounts to 280 gold, silver and bronze medals. 280, sounds like a lot.

But imagine being the person who comes in fourth or below. Think of how many athletes have dedicated the past two, three, even four years of their lives to get to the moment where they can compete, and then come up short.

I think what it amounts to is the fact that there are some athletes in the world, those who know they are facing training limitations in terms of funding, facilities, coaching, etc., that view just making it to the Olympics in general is a victory, their own personal gold medal.

I will never be able to accept it for myself. I'm a Badders. I will always hate to lose. It's just our nature, as most of you know.

Aside from that, though, I do like the idea that there are those out there that recognize their achievements in the grand scheme of things. That can say to themselves, yes, I didn't win, but think of all the people that never even got the chance to be where I was. I was one of eight people who got to a final, and that's good enough.

That message is one that people can, and should, translate into their own lives. As a graduate of the class of 2009, I can say that times have been especially tough for all those people who graduated with me. I read a statistic that said 50% of the classes from 2006-2010 have found employment due to the recession. We're having to overcome hurdles that most other generations haven't, or won't have to, just because the world economy took a nose dive right at the same time we were being pushed out into the world.

To be frank, times are tough for a great amount of us. To those that don't have jobs and are struggling through the interview process, I sympathize. Since graduating, I've had 15 interviews. I've been offered jobs from two of them. I know how painful the process is. I know how much it hurts when it doesn't work out.

But like those olympians who fall short, think not of the failure of not landing the job. Think about, as hard as it is, the opportunity that you were given and the fact that you made it to the conference room. How many others are on the outside looking in?

Take pride and celebrate the fact that you were one of those few who got the chance to compete for the final. Sure, you didn't get gold but you do know what it takes to get there and can use this failed experience as a springboard to the next. Above all else, take pride in yourself and be the "you" that you know to be.

Anything short of that and you're losing before the game begins.

"I always have to think about what's important in life to me is three things: where you started, where you are, and where you're gonna be. Those are the three things that I try to do every day. How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal. You have to be willing to work for it."
- Jim Valvano -


1 comment:

  1. A personal trainer I had once asked me (while I was panting miserably on the ground), "how badly do you want it [to be in shape]?" And in that moment, all I wanted to do was lay down and chug water, but I took it with me and have carried that phrase with me in everything I do. Every time I want to make an excuse, I think about how that excuse is only hurting me and how will it effect what I want.

    He said that to me a little over a year and a half ago and while it's been a long year and a half, I finally have everything I want. I have it because my ass worked hard for it...because that's how badly I wanted it. So it goes to show ya, if you want something, you can get it, but you have to work for it. No one is going to give it to you and you don't deserve it, you have to earn it. And when you don't get gold, well, you try harder.

    Nice post, Badders :) You'll get what you want, I have no doubt. It's a long road, but it's a good one. It makes you appreciate what you have even more when finally get what you want.

    ReplyDelete